Caffé Borbone, Minister Giorgetti: “A winning model for doing business”

Despite the unequivocal signs of an increase in raw material costs, 2021 ended with a record turnover of EUR 253 million, with a net profit of EUR 63.5 million. And the first quarter report for 2022 continued to strengthen the growth trend, with revenues of € 66.4 million, an increase of 2% compared to the same period last year which had also benefited from the greater domestic consumption of coffee caused by the lockdown (+ 36% compared to the first quarter of 2020).


These numbers are enough to explain why Bourbon coffee, the company based in Caivano nel Napoletano (13,000 square meters facility), about 200 employees, founded by Massimo Renda and controlled from 2018 to 60% by the Italmobiliare group in the Pesenti family (the remaining 40% stayed in Renda which is the CEO), has in a few years has become one of the three main players at national level with Lavazza and Nespresso and above all a leader in sales of capsules and capsules (now increasingly also in large-scale distribution). But the same figures also explain why Caffè Borbone, who was born on a family basis and does not renounce this philosophy even now when it sails on much larger figures and future prospects, has decided to make another quality leap. That is, to focus on innovation 4.0 processes to renew the plant, create new production performance and increase employment. An important project, certainly one of the few in the south that exploits the economic opportunities in Industry 4.0, to which the Minister of Economic Development Giancarlo Giorgetti has given, not surprisingly, a convincing green light in recent days. In fact, it was Giorgetti who approved a program agreement with Caffè Borbone, which provides the Caivano plant with an investment of € 13.4 million in 4.0 technologies and environmental sustainability.

The industrial development project is called CORE (coffee or the search for emotions) and will make it possible to increase the plant’s production capacity through an innovative 4.0 roasting system, which can automatically control the packaging of capsules and capsules for coffee machines. It is also planned to create areas for storage of raw materials and finished products, as well as the purchase of a photovoltaic plant to meet the daily energy needs, with limited management and maintenance costs, it is said. The Ministry of Economic Development is providing around € 5.4 million in subsidies that will enable employment to increase by 92 jobs. In 2024, when the planned investments are completed, the company will have 308 employees.

“Innovation, sustainability, the development of the territory and the creation of new jobs are all parameters that the Caffè Borbone business project fully respects, and therefore deserves to be financed with development contracts,” explains Minister Giorgetti. He adds: “This investment represents the winning model of doing business aimed at protecting and promoting the tradition and taste of a product, Neapolitan espresso, recognized and appreciated worldwide.”

Italmobiliare had bought 60% of Aromatika srl, the coffee roastery company under the Caffé Borbone brand, for EUR 140 million (the completion of the transaction valued the company at over EUR 233 million). For the Group, it was the opportunity to “expand the scope of the equity investment portfolio, in a sector characterized by a high growth rate and with further development potential”, said Carlo Pesenti, Italmobiliare’s CEO at the time. And after four, we can say that the investment has given good results. The same applies to Renda, which has long been considered one of the most reliable managers in the industry. One, to be clear, which often reiterates the importance of «a continuous commitment to sustainability, to keep the brand’s strategic goals constant, in terms of innovation and research. Without ever abandoning the strong affiliation with the territory ».

Leave a Comment